Saturday, July 25, 2015

umm..Personification of great expectations.

     I am choosing a very controversial topic of "Gifts" today.Its a custom prevalent from ancient times when the king used to gift people in his kingdom when he was happy with them.Then there is section where gift serves as bribe.Then there are those special gifts which someone gives you unexpectedly.No, the hikes in office are expected ,which we never get ;)
      In childhood our parents used to give us these wonderful surprises as these most wanted toys which they got to know after observing us.They put in that effort to know what we wanted, and its easy to find that for a child.As we grow up and become complex , we left our parents perplexed with our choices. They were often wrong in their observances and they decided to be blunt and ask us to choose the gift and if viable they would get that for us.Then came a time we started working and buying them gifts, which left them even more baffled what to give you.Now they gave you cash to be safest .Now, this evolution of gifts from joyful little trinkets to a topic which gives you heart burn is probably as complicated as Darwin's theory of evolution you would think.But, its not really that complex its just that now India's inflation and growth makes life easy and tough both.As we moved from hard copy of kodak moments to instagram and facebook moments everyone wants to outdo the other.That leaves everyone floundering to choose gifts and surprise you.Then came the gift voucher culture and people felt good that atleast its little personal than the hard cash.Then evolved the gift portal which allowed you to choose things online and just send to anyone anywhere.This was boon to people separated by distance.
     Now, you would be wondering what is the whole thing leading to.Since. my birthday just went i was thinking about the selfie gift! Now what the heck is that "it is something you want and are hesitating as you are unclear".I choose something every year and gift it to myself.Its something i want for myself, and would never want to hold my parents or anyone else responsible for it.It could be a travel somewhere , a silly moment, a book , a experience.Its upto us to make life surprising and don't have a list of expectation.My parents as usual were " what do you want" buy it from our side.Now, why would a self sufficient person like me offload my wants to them is my take.They as usual were perplexed by my no comments attitude and gave me some cash ;).
     Then comes in a parameter of spousal gifting, whew that's the most stressful of all.You are expected to be innovative like Edison as you have consistent group of people asking " aur kya diya ya mila".Then some actually upload the photo on FB or instagram it with few hearts and lines from DDLJ or somewhere.(you get my meaning).We like it and uh and ah about it.But, some of us rethink and compare.(comeon, its human , unless you are a saint).If the last year one was head turning now next year you are constantly thinking to out-beat the last one.In my case my husband sent me a handbag bigger than last year (have to hand it to him on being consistent).My instant reaction should have been joy, but it was actually a count to one to ten (what to say , i am human).The poor guy was just trying to please me and here i was getting pissed.But, reason wasn't the big bag but the unoriginal idea.Now, you to understand that he couldnt have read my mind and imagined what i wanted :D. This is a small example and causes high amount of stress around any celebration.I myself used to personalize gifts and present to family and friends.Now, since life got busy past few years.I too just use online portals to gift of just pass on some cash .We are losing small joyful moments with the amount of stress these gifting causes.The stress is even higher when its not appreciated.
         The era of online is here, life is online.You can now gift a experience online.Send anything to anyone and anywhere.But, we need to let go ourselves once in a while and indulge on the thing we want and stop expecting it as a gift. There is no point getting upset about things which don't matter.I cannot completely disregard the pleasure surprise and unexpected gifts give.But, move on and buy it yourself!But, yeah i still see the big bag in my nightmare:P.It would be truthful to say that i am a tad bit peeved :P.
        I have decided to give cash wherever possible to relatives as gift, seems like personalization doesnot mean it will be always liked.I have neither the energy nor the patience to choose when some of them rarely even call.Its quite freeing!

No comments:

Post a Comment