Monday, October 30, 2017

Life in time of social media

         Yes,, trying to copy from love in time of cholera.But mine seems less morbid title.But, i am not anti social media.I am on all active platforms and hooked on them.I was into facebook when it was new and exciting.Then followed google+, blogger, twitter, quora, wordpress, snapchat, watsapp etc etc..But, we move on from one to other , as there are too many options. Its easy to mindlessly get addicted to these. I however have become addicted to quora lately. I do update or look at facebook sparingly. I see now people have realized that they don't need to provide live update of their lives. Just new places, new additions, new dedications need to appear on social media. Some of my friends who posted almost everything have disappeared from social media.I have deactivated my facebook for couple days sometimes. But, just giving it up is too much! I do have subscribed to some fun pages and groups. I get a ton of information there, on things like fashion, food, charity, travel! So it has its own uses. However, few use it to copy others or stalk exes.
   I have been mindlessly been shopping online almost everyday, owe it to unable to go anywhere as i find it hard to travel with baby and India still doesn't even have space for feeding baby in restrooms.God forbid public breastfeeding ! I have been inspired by a person i follow on facebook (a CEO and avid traveller), who hasnot shopped the entire year ! Even when her last pair of running shoes were torn!I  have vowed to not shop anything for next 30 days(ofcourse diaper and baby stuff is excused :P ).
     Also, i read this inspiring story where a lady decided to not treat the children like "king and queen"  on watsapp.Basically most people buy children specific things like umbrella, small this , small that (all useless stuff).Why can't the child use what we use??Also, i had told my husband not to mindlessly get clothes for bub, which is good, few pairs of clothes and toys will get him to value what he has. I have lately seen children breaking expensive toys within seconds of getting those. I am not talking about breaking while playing, but just breaking for the sake of breaking! I can't say how bub will turn out, but i will try to steer him in right direction.
     Then there is another friend in Canada, she admirably is making organic stuff herself , she has a 4 month baby, works and has no help like in India! So, again people like these inspire you be a better version of yourself. So, social media has its own uses. Some people's post give you joy when you see their travel photos, children photos or their achievements.
     I can't forsake social media to make a statement.I have seen people giving it up and then going on and on  how they gave it up! Nobody cares, it your choice.Also, these days birthdays and festivals are no longer time to call and talk. Its just forward a photo and you are done with wishing someone. How i miss catching up and calling on festivals and birthdays. I did call until last year, i realized most people respond as if i am wasting their time :D, so i too just forward now. Some don't even call back and just message on some app, that too in times where voice calls are all time free! Sigh , maybe i was being to much of a relic of olden days, i am trying to change to modern times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment